Friday, August 3, 2007

Point and Shoot.

I was rustling through an overly full cabinet the other day and came across a Minolta Rokkor Automatic from some forgotten age, looking as though it had been never used, but now seriously outdated. I scooped it up lovingly, changed the batteries, loaded some film, and started shooting. He's been sitting in my lap in the car for the past five days straight, capturing moments of interest and pure stupidity, and some silly bumper stickers to boot. I don't know how the pictures will turn out, am still searching for some place that will develop real b&w, but it has been fun.

He travels quite well.

In other obsessions, I recently purchased a Charles Vess book with a collection of his work on ballads. I didn't know who he was until I came across the following poster last August, hanging in a window in Asheville. I was told that in the illustration world, Mr. Vess is quite well known.
I still think it's one of the most beautiful things I've seen.
He's speaking at the bookstore in September, and if i can help it, I will be there, rapt with attention. http://www.greenmanpress.com/

1 comment:

M said...

that *is* beautiful.. it reminds me of the old inkings of sailor zodiac symbols (a niche beaut, for sure.)