Saturday, October 10, 2009

Falling into a new start.

"...mekleju vardus kalna mala..."*

shift. reset.

this morning it snowed.
there is something comforting about the effort to keep warm. as a kid i relished the mornings in which i could peer my head out of my cocoon of warm blanket and taste the cool air enveloping me. today, i sleepily cradled a steaming cup of licorice tea, lit the furnace, and layered long shirt, white sweater, black jacket, yellow scarf.
now i sit, layers shed, absent-mindedly fiddling with the ring on my left hand thinking.
for some time the words have escaped me, trapped in an exhausting whirlpool of mute observation. but slowly they are coming back to me emerging with an energy reminiscent of the epic Latvian bear hero.

I am finding that I am enjoying fall. Previous talk of it brought tense anticipation, but the reality of soft and heavy fabrics, stick-to-your ribs type fare, and sneaking into the warm crook of your love's arm is much nicer than expected. Maija has done nothing other than to extoll the virtues of local apples and Charline is tempting me to begin knitting again. I am mad about these felty boots from Target and this golden wool scarf from Boden. Grey and gold are destined to be colors of mine this season.
Working to build the familiarity that makes one feel at home. After a long day at work, am planning to treat us to a neighbourhood soul food restaurant, Brasa, in an attempt to reach the Southern comfort signals in our heads and encourage some sense of acclimation.

Looking forward to the long haul.


*Trans.: "...looking for words at the edge of the mountain..." --Prata Vetra

No comments: