Tuesday, July 13, 2010

We bury our secrets in the garden.



















I am writing to you all after another busy week. The newest project has been to do a little more research on the family tree. Truth be told, it was originally much more about looking into Dallas' history, since I am fascinated by the fact that his family has been in this country around the same area for an extraordinary amount of generations. Being that my family were more recent immigrants, I thought that I knew all there was to know--I have information about almost all of the lines all the way back to their original country of origin, meaning that I've gone about as far as you can go without travelling to find more records. But I was proven wrong...by a large margin. Case in point--there is much more to know about the McLaughlins. Maija had experimented with a free trial of Ancestry.com and found some good stuff, enough to get me inspired, but I knew one place I could go to get real meat, and that was the Conway clan up in Canada. We had come across my great-grandmother's relatives by accident in the ancient days of the internet, but this time I was given a full-blown report--eight generations back (That's my great-grandfather Michael Patrick McLaughlin up on the left, doesn't he look like my dad?). And I noticed something that I never noticed before--that my great-aunt Veronica had a child, and long story short, I have second cousins that nobody knew about. Through the powers of the internet, I found one and emailed him and presto-changeo! new family. Next up Dallas and the Taylors, the whos whats and whens of the American South, what the hell their original ancestry is, and all of the mixes in between.
Go ahead, give it a shot of your own.

No comments: